Stephen Ministry is a confidential relationship with a Christian who:
- will visit for an hour weekly and listen to you
- will offer resources if those are needed by referrals
- will pray with you, and offer Christian support
- has received 50 hours of intensive training in many helping skills
Stephen Ministers are not:
- professional counselors or psychologists
- ordained ministers
- equipped to provide physical services such as baby-sitting, preparing meals, or transportation
- experts in law, finance, or health care
Stephen Ministry is a quiet ministry of presence, if and when you feel you need us. Call the church office (203) 438-8791.
The History of Stephen Ministry:
Stephen Ministry was named after St. Stephen, the first lay person the Apostles asked to care for the needs of the early congregation (Acts 6: 1-6).
Present day Stephen ministry was started in 1975 by Kenneth Haugk, both an ordained minister and PhD prepared psychologist, who found he could not adequately meet the needs of his congregation alone. Dr. Haugk developed the Stephen Series, a complete system of training and organizing laypersons as lay Christian caregivers. July 2002 BG Brown and Carole Stathis attended the Leader’s Training Course in Philadelphia and became the first Stephen Leaders for Jesse Lee. Currently there are 4 Stephen Leaders and 12 active Stephen Ministers to serve our congregation.
Stephen Ministry is a ministry in which one person reaches out to another in times of loneliness; despair; illness; hospitalization; relocation; new living arrangements; life altering change such as child birth; empty nest syndrome; retirement; job change; loss such as loss of a loved one through death or divorce; loss of a job; loss of health; a life altering transition or concern.