Director of Christian Education Ministry
(Pre-K to 12th Grade)
The Director of Christian Education Ministry serves as the spiritual and organizational leader for programs, activities, and fellowship for children and youth. He/She provides vision and goals for the which align with the broader mission of Jesse Lee Church and the needs of the congregation.
The Director of Christian Education Ministry is a deeply committed Christian who seeks to personally know, love, and serve God. Encouraging young people, and those who support them, to likewise grow in love with God is the hallmark of faithful ministry.
Jesse Lee Memorial United Methodist Church, like many faith communities, is in a period of intentional reformation. It is expected that Children and Youth Ministries will consist of both synchronous and asynchronous programming in both in-person and online venues. Providing leadership to congregational volunteers is an important aspect of the director’s duties as well as coordinating with other ministries in the church.
This person will strategize and implement effective ministry programs. The work includes casting a vision for how we, as a congregation, will collaborate to form and nurture disciples at every age and stage of life so that they may grow in faith and put love into practice – a Wesleyan emphasis on the Christian life and social holiness.
This is a full-time position and includes working on weekends, and likely one evening a week.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive discipleship strategic plan (short/long term) for the children and youth.
- Implement activities, materials, and curriculum to develop the faith and understanding of the children and youth.
- Recruit, train, and provide for the professional development of lay ministry partners (volunteers).
- Communicate and collaborate with the broader leadership of the congregation and community as relates to Children and Youth.
- Foster connections and rapport with families and encourage and empower the children, and parents to connect with each other in Christian fellowship, spiritual growth, and service to others.
- Collaborate with the Children and Youth Commission to provide high quality and innovative programming to support the children and families in their faith development and growth.
- Further develop the faith-inclusive feature of the Jesse Lee Day School (JLDS).
- Develop and execute various family faith-building and one-time service opportunities with the goal to optimize a number of “quick touches” with active, minimally engaged, and new families.
- Facilitate Sunday School.
- Effectively communicate with staff, congregation, and the greater Ridgefield community.
- Collaborate with all lay ministry program leaders (youth, prayer and healing, music etc.) to enhance and augment the discipleship initiatives and participation.
- The director will oversee and ensure compliance with our safe sanctuary policies.
- 3+ years of experience in fostering faith formation.
- 3+ years leading and managing others to achieve objectives – including leading/motivating volunteers.
- Proven ability to exemplify Christian discipleship and to teach and create safe opportunities for faith explorers to become disciples.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and listening skills with the ability to build trusting relationships.
- Operate as a strong collaborative team player valuing interactive communication.
- Ability to lead and mentor staff and lay ministry partners, with a hands-on approach inclusive of off-campus mission trips.
- Working knowledge of Children and Youth Ministries best practices.
- Proficient in common computer applications and using various social media platforms.
- Educated in those aspects of developmental psychology appropriate to foster a tailored program of faith formation given the diversities of age and culture.
- Act as a role model by demonstrating a commitment to his/her faith and Christian values in his/her life.
The Director of Christian Education Ministry reports directly to the Senior Pastor and works collaboratively with all other ministries. The Director is assisted by a part-time Administrator, and nursery staff and an Associate Pastor and Part Time Youth Middle School Youth Minister.
Salary Range: commensurate with experience
Background check and drug test required prior to contract.